Utica, NY

Friday, December 6, 2013

Feliz O Dia de Acao de Gracas!


Family,

As my title with incorrect Portuguese grammar indicates, Happy Thanksgiving.

I have had yet another lovely week in the Northeast. There is snow here! The other night walking home from a lesson at the church there was a bit of a snow storm. I had never felt so cold in my entire life. I thought I was well covered up, but the small part of my body that wasn't covered, my face skin, about turned into a sheet of ice. I love that I get to serve in two distinct places that have COMPLETELY different weather patterns. Lots of memories shall be created.

I spend most of this week outside of Albany. Since Elder Menlove goes home on Wednesday, he went with the departing missionaries to Palmyra, which is a tradition at the end of everyone's missions here. I spent those three days in Schenectady with Elder Johnson. That was SO much fun. Elder Johnson and I are good friends. He and I figured out we have the same taste in music, so we found ourselves humming the lyrics to some of our favorite Arctic Monkeys songs. Schenectady is a sweet city. It is home to Ray Bradbury, the science fiction writer, General Electric headquarters, and Thomas Edison. Dad, remember when we read Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury together before I entered High School, because I didn't know how to read? If I end up going into engineering, I may be coming back to upstate New York. This is like engineering capital of the world. I spend my week on two other exchanges in Watervliet and Delmar, both small suburbs of Albany. I had a great time traveling this beautiful area this week.

So I didn't get my permission to enter the country of Brazil this transfer, but that's okay. I have not yet accomplished the thing which the Lord commanded me, which is to have at least one baptism before I leave. It's coming, I can feel it. My new companion's name is Elder Hougaard. I have not yet met him, but I hear great things! He has been a Zone Leader most of his mission kind of like Josh. This will be his first training transfer in 9 months. I'm SO excited to work with him. We are going to work really well together. I have really been blessed here in the Utica mission. I can't believe that even though I am a mere visa waiting missionary, the lord, giving inspiration to President Wirthlin, is giving me one of his best missionaries to complete my training.

When I arrived back in Albany on Saturday we were able to meet with Justin. We taught him the Plan of Salvation. He was really interested and had a lot of really good questions. He loves meeting with the missionaries and going to church, but he is still deciding if he wants to commit to being baptized. Please pray for him. Pray that the spirit will give him the desire to read the Book of Mormon as well.

Many of you are wondering what my plans are for Thanksgiving. Elder and Sister Helser, the senior couple serving in our branch, is making a delicious Thanksgiving meal for the missionaries and some of the members of our Branch who can't afford thanksgiving this year. It will be a good opportunity for Elder Hougaard and I to meet some more members!

Well I need to get off, but I wish you all a happy week! Keep reading the scriptures and praying! Those two simple things truly create a such strong relationship between God and man.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving and Black Friday.

Eu amo voces,

Elder Kunzler

No comments:

Post a Comment