Utica, NY

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

We all have work. Let no one shirk


Oi.
 
What does the verb shirk mean? Does it mean to struggle?
 
So there's been a few blizzards in Oregon, huh? Does it look kind of like that scene from Mulan when the snowstorm buries all of the Huns into the snow except for the hairs on the tops of their heads? That reminds me of those times when I used to rejoice when school was cancelled because those were usually the days a giant paper was due. :)
 
If it brings any solace, we had a big snowstorm on Wednesday this week and were told by the assistants to stay in the apartment most of the day, being in one of the few walking areas of the mission. We spent most of the day deep cleaning the apartment.
 
So
 
Maritza Yarleque passed her baptismal interview with flying colors. I've never understood what flying colors are, but the bald man who signed my eagle scout certificate made me feel warm inside when he said that to 15 year old me. She was quite nervous, but is prepared to take this important step in her life. Elder Hougaard and I couldn't be more excited. I'll send pictures next week!
 
We have officially finished teaching the Johnson family about the Plan of Salvation. It takes us about 3-4 meetings to teach them each of the lessons, since we try to make sure each of the children understand what we teach them. We began using an old white board from our apartment to teach them this. Elder Hougaard bribed them with treats if they could guess each of the steps of the Plan of Salvation on the board, so they got really hyper and shouted answers and about tackled my companion off his chair. It was the best.
 
We had a very good Sunday this week. 8 of our investigators came, A NEWWW RECORD! Eileen Johnson was able to get off work this week to join us with her kids. I'm telling you, that family was meant to be members of our church. They love primary, young men's, and relief society. After church, Robert, the 13 year old, found me speaking in Portuguese to a member of our branch. He was curious why I could speak a different language until a friend he had made told him I was awaiting my visa to go to Brazil. He ran up to me and said, "Elder Kunzler, you can't go to Brazil! You gotta give us the gospel!" I chuckled.
 
This member I was talking to in Portuguese, Jairo Ruiz, from Ecuador, introduced us to his friends from Ecuador this week-Jareth and Susanna Gonzalez. Jareth is an inactive member but wants to come back to church. Susanna is not a member. We taught her about the Book of Mormon and it's role in conversion. She accepted to be baptized after she recieves her answer!
 
As you have read, there are many incredible things that are happening and will continue to happen in this extraordinary work. Being a missionary is a god given gift. I cannot describe how good I feel on a daily basis. Continue sharing the gospel with your friends, treasuring the scriptures, and praying with deep sincerity. By doing so you can experience the same level of joy and feel the heavens open to you.
 
With much love,
 
Elder Kunzler

No comments:

Post a Comment