Utica, NY

Friday, October 11, 2013

I have received a temporary RE-ASSIGNMENT to the ... mission

Final MTC Picture

Dearest Familia,

It is so good to be able to email you one last time while I am here in Provo. The MTC has been far too good to me, and it's going to be weird not feeling the security I feel here, but in the words of Bilbo Baggins, "I think I'm ready for another adventure."

Yesterday in the middle of in-field orientation presented by a Frenchman from Lyon (Josh) our entire district went to the mailbox. Inside the mailbox there was a neatly folded pad of papers. We rushed to the residence hall to go around reading our new mission calls from the prophet. I have been re-assigned to the NEW YORK UTICA mission. I was so extremely excited that it was hard to breath. I could not contain my excitement, so I ran into the bathroom across the hall to yell at the top of my lungs, but I kind of got into trouble for that.. Kinda like how sometimes people get frustrated with Jacob when he is loud.

The Utica mission covers Syracuse, Albany, and part of Vermont, and apparently that is where Parley P. Pratt was born. Most of the church history sites are in the Rochester mission next door, but it will still be crazy to tell investigators that the Prophet Joseph Smith saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ only two hours away. I hear it gets quite cold there too, so I will need to gather a few more long sleeve shirts. It's a darn good thing that I brought that giant coat and winter boots with me, mother. :)

I haven't a clue why the lord wants me there, but I am soon to find out. I have no ties there, at least that I know of. Maybe Heavenly Father just wants me to celebrate one last american Thanksgiving feast! Other missionaries were Re-assigned to Macon Georgia, Washington D.C. North, San Antonio (Don't worry, I told them about Jana and Don and the River Walk), and Nampa Idaho. I am the only Brasil visa-waiter going to Utica. Elder Henderson was re-assigned to Nampa and he was really upset about that. I know that there is a reason why the lord wants him there. We will all talk about our short missions when we get to Curitiba.

Conference was incredible, I was hooked. I enjoyed every message given by inspired men and women. I loved the emphasis on Repentence. Repentence is not a punishment, but a change of direction to hope filled future. I think members of the church needed to hear everything that was spoken. I particularly enjoyed the talks Given by Dallin H. Oaks, D. Todd Christofferson, Neil L. Anderson, Uchtdorf's about learning from failures, and the Prophets in the Sunday morning session, I believe.

My (acting) investigators have improved so much. Antonio is going to be baptized on Saturday. He has learned to apply the atonement to his life and has completely overcome his addiction to cigarettes. Jessica, our more difficult investigator has developed a desire to read the Book of Mormon and can now recognize the Spirit and knows that God loves her.

Todas coisas sao indo muito bem aqui em O CTM. I amo e aqui, mas eu sou muito animado para New York e Curitiba. Meu missao e indo ser incrivel. (Please excuse my bad grammar and missing accents Jacob)

Eu amo voces muito,

Elder Kunzler O Novo Yorker e Brasileiro
Meu Russian amigo. Russians don't smile

Don't worry about me mother. I sleep well, with plenty of blankets

No comments:

Post a Comment